Sunday, May 09, 2010

Is it really necessary? (Wedding Edition)

Flipping thru the channels as I usually do when in the search for something entertaining to view, I can't help but notice all the wedding related shows there are these days - Say Yes to the Dress, Amazing Wedding Cakes, Girl Meets Gown, Platinum Weddings, Bridezillas, My Fair Wedding, etc. Granted I have never been one of the lucky ones to walk down the aisle, but I can't help but wonder if some things are really necessary. Here's a few things that bug me.....

  • Save the date cards followed by invitations - Cards that are sent a year before the wedding alerting those to obviously "save the date" are then followed by an actual invitation when it got closer to the date. News flash - sending both is a waste of time & money!! If people know you're getting married, they are more than likely going to ask you when it is & wait patiently for the invitation. I know this is special day, but you don't need something over the top either. Invitations are the only thing that should be sent.
  • Gifts for the bridesmaids / groomsmen - It's the couples wedding day, so why exactly should they be obligated to buy you a gift? It should simply be an honor to be asked to participate, right?
  • Rehearsal dinners - The rehearsal itself shouldn't last more than 15-20 minutes tops. You're going to get fed at the wedding not to mention free booze. Why should you be fed twice? Save money right here by skipping the rehearsal dinner.
  • Distant relatives - Why is the bride / groom obligated to invite relatives (or family friends) they hardly ever see? Time and again on these shows I see them caving in to Mom's request to invite "cousin Betty" simply because she's family. No wonder the guest lists are so loooooong! LOL
I could go on, but already I see with these few mentioned items there could be money to save to go towards more important things such as the first "house payment." What are you wedding pet peeves?

No comments: